Assistant Product Manager -Packs, Bags and Soft Coolers
Posted by Westfield Outdoor, Inc. on 11/16/2018
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Management - Product
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Contact Name: Tonya Strange
Contact Phone: 317-334-0364 x19
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
Assistant Product Manager Packs, Bags and Soft Coolers
Westfield Outdoors is an Indianapolis-based company that solely represents a well-established, fast growing international manufacturing group. It provides manufacturing and international importing services for outdoor leisure products, including camping furniture, tents, shelters, backpacks, trekking bags, soft coolers, hunting accessories, fishing tackle, and patio furniture. It has developed into one of the leading companies in the world that provides OEM/private labeling manufacturing services in the outdoor leisure products industry. Currently we are looking for the right individual to join our Product Development Team based in Indianapolis, Indiana.
As a Product Manager you will be responsible for developing and executing product development initiatives across the Packs, Bags and Soft Cooler product platforms. This person will develop the Packs, Bags and Soft Cooler strategic product road map and provide direction to the cross functional teams ensuring meaningful Consumer desired products are developed and introduced into the marketplace in a timely manner.
The Product Manager is responsible for both product development and product marketing. This includes leading the direction of the product idea / concept through the product development process, gathering and prioritizing Consumer Insights and Customer Requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with the cross functional team members to deliver winning products. It also includes working with sales and marketing to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met. The Product Manager’s job also includes ensuring that the product development efforts support the company’s overall strategy and goals.
Expectations of the Product Manager:
- Defines the 3 Year Product Roadmap for the Soft Coolers product category
- Develops a Product Line Plan for each major Customer and for the Company’s Own Brands, outlining key retail price points, features and targeted product cost on an annual development cycle basis.
- Leads all Product Dev. Projects with rationale and justification within the Soft Cooler category
- Innovation – New to the World
- New Product Development – New to the Industry
- Line Extensions – New products within the Category, adding Features, requesting new Aesthetics based on Trends
- Provides up to date Marketing information in support of major Customer’s product line reviews.
- Develops a Catalog Offering under the Company’s Brand for the Soft Cooler category
- Acquires Consumer Insights via all Methodologies to ensure products are being developed to meet the needs of targeted Consumers.
- Requests and conducts grass roots Consumer Research
- Create the detailed Product Briefs that provide the direction for the new product development projects obtaining input from the Sales Team.
- Ensures the four Product Goal Sets of Product Cost, Product Performance, Project Schedule and Project Budget are tracked and achieved.
- Leads the Innovation direction for the Soft Cooler category
- Be an expert with respect to the Competition in addition to being an internal product expert
- Assist in developing the core positioning and messaging for the product
- Participate in Customer meetings and perform product demos to Customers
- Develop sales tools and collateral
- Brief and train the sales force at regularly scheduled Company meetings
Requirements of the Product Manager Position:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Product Manager, Assistant Buyer, Salesperson within the Outdoor Industry
- Demonstrated success, defining and launching of Consumer Products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree prefered
- Experience in Project Management, Product Development and Consumer Research methodologies.
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Ability to effectively use MS Office programs; PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook ,
- Proven Ability to present to all levels of Management
- Must be able to travel both Internationally and Domestic 30% of the time
= $45-50k/year base salary plus bonus
= Or salary is commensurate with experience
= Medical benefits are provided as part of the package
= Base pay: $45,000 – 60,000