Product Manager - Lowepro
Posted by Lowepro - Vitec Imaging Solutions on 02/05/2019
Industry Sector: Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Management - Product
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Lowepro makes market leading carry solutions for people who love photography and adventure.
Position Mission - Be the category champion for a specific group of Lowepro products ensuring organizational alignment in regards to our target consumers and trends, marketplace landscape including competition and retail channel and product strategy with responsibility for defining volume, sales, price and profitability targets under the supervision of the Senior Product Director Lowepro/Joby.
Main Responsibilities and Activities:
• Identify opportunities for product/mix improvements and new initiatives through market, competitive and customer understanding.
• Conduct primary and secondary research on market forces such as consumers, competitors, distribution channels and suppliers. Research category and hardware trends. Develop competitor and marketplace intelligence knowledge on category and conduct analysis.
• Contribute to the divisional marketing strategy implementation in his/her area of responsibility; provide input for the definition and update of the strategy. Identify product opportunities and threats. Create value for customers through product.
• Support in the definition of the product concept and design guideline based on the problem or customer’s need it addresses, its primary prospect, the benefit the product delivers through its features and the way it works. Define a suitable target price and hence cost in order to deliver gross margins in line with divisional guideline, and provide guidance and feedback to R&D and/or external designers during the different phases.
• Support in the management of the product lifecycles from introduction through exit to achieve product strategy objectives. Evaluate product success, analyze trends and make product line recommendations based on the study of profitability, strategic advantages, and alignment with corporate objectives.
• Suggest course correction in existing products/businesses based upon monitoring of customer reactions, price and sales trends; support the definition of product price points adjustments where needed (and respective cost savings); define required improvements and action plans that improve the product and the marketing mix, jointly with Sales, Operations, R&D and Communications.
• Be a proactive actor of the design team, contributing to the successful development of product through a proactive collaboration with internal and external design teams; be able to provide focus and clear guidelines to the project team in delivering on time, on cost, on spec.
• Be the pivot through outstanding collaboration with R&D, Operations, Sales, Communications and Customer Service. All activities are necessary to the execution and launch of new products in order to deliver the target profitability and time-to-market; collaborate with Communication and Trade Marketing (divisional and local) to ensure that the product concept is effectively translated into compelling communication and in store activities.
• Support all the communication activities related to the Lowepro products. Attend relevant tradeshows and other product/brand promotional events, in collaboration with Communication.
• Contribute to product training activities with Sales team and Distribution companies.
• Participate to NPD monthly meetings for the review of ongoing new product development projects to ensure proactive contribution from all involved functions.
• Participate to marketing meetings with Sales, Distribution companies, independent distributors to update them on new products introductions and other ongoing marketing activities/plans.
• Active contributor to the commercialization plan. Be responsible of product performance till full market implementation via continuous dialogue with sales and participating in commercialization plan’s development.
- Minimum 3-years’ experience in multinational companies with consumer products preferably in luggage, outdoor or sporting goods.
- Experience in product development, project management or demand planning
- Analytical skills and ability to use market research tools and methodologies to recognize and anticipate user needs and market opportunities.
- Foundations and working experience of price and volume management processes, understanding of the P&L structure and how to influence it.
- Understanding of Profit and Loss Management.
- Solid presentation skills, both one on one and to in large group setting.
- High degree of organization, ability to prioritize tasks appropriately while managing multiple projects; ability to manage many types of projects, services and vendors in different manners simultaneously.
- Must be able to deal with multiple changes to information on a daily basis. Ability to prioritize and multi-task under pressure.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Must respond effectively to daily requests for information, and solicit information from others. Must have ability to maintain open channels with all departments and executive staff and be a positive, contributing and adaptable member of the team.
- Ability to recognize what makes the difference in a product for customers, ability to understand the relationship between features and benefits, to convey the product benefits and position it vs. existing offering.
- Proactive and gets things started, getting support for ideas and projects, has excellent interpersonal skills and able to build positive working relationship.
- Knowledge and/or personal interest in photography; understanding of basic technology questions, passion for the product and innovation.
- Must be proficient in Windows.