Vice President Gym Operations (MD,VA)
Posted by El Cap/Earth Treks/Planet Granite on 09/11/2019
Industry Sector: Action, Fitness, Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Management - Team, Operations
Company Type: Gym/Outfitter, Recreation
City: Maryland & Virginia
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years experience running multiple fast-paced, high volume facilities and/or leading a large high performing team; with demonstrated success in leading through change, driving results, and developing leaders.
The VP of Gym Operations is part of a team of VPs and Area Directors who report to the Sr VP of Gym Operations.
People & Community
- Develop, mentor and train directors, and through them, climbing center team members in alignment with our mission, vision and values.
- Maintain clear communication and direction between the various gyms within their region and with other VPs across regions.
- Maintain a regular presence within the gyms in the region, leading by example and cultivating a positive culture that is aligned with our core values and mission.
- Work proactively with directors to build relationships in the community and create memorable experiences to drive membership growth and retention.
- Ensure the gym leadership teams are supported and through them, the gym runs smoothly, all administrative needs are met, and all team members are trained and supported, and our members and guests’ experience are awesome.
Finance & Budget
- Build and manage the financial budget for the region in partnership with operations leadership and finance teams.
- Translate the strategic goals into operational plans to achieve the required targeted growth in sales and profit; identify and optimize promotional opportunities ensuring these are coordinated.
- Partner with Retail, Marketing and Programming to drive revenue and gym growth.
- Manage change by supporting the execution of processes, protocols and procedures to ensure the gyms run in an effective and service-oriented manner while meeting financial goals.
- Oversee gym director teams and Area Directors within their region to ensure KPIs and gym goals are met.
- Provide leadership and direction to all gyms. Is accountable for end-to-end gym operations within their region.
- Support and work closely with key stakeholders to ensure alignment of gym operations with the overall business strategy and goals.
- Contribute to cutting-edge strategies by generating ideas about future opportunities; maintain up to date knowledge of the industry, competitors and trends.
- Identify and implement cross functional projects that affect their region, along with overseeing strategic planning and execution to enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency throughout the company’s operations.
- Partner with business analytics team to understand historical trends as well as current trends, using the data to understand the health of the business.
- A minimum of 5 years prior experience managing multiple high performing facilities or equivalent, including direct supervision of a large team.
- Ability to build relationships within the climbing community and the ability to leverage those relationships to build a strong community in the gym.
- Embodies the mission, vision and values and can foster this sense of culture in all team members.
- Ability to work evenings or weekends as needed to support the gyms in the region.
- Strong financial acumen including budget management experience.
- Ability to develop future leaders.
- Ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities, while ensuring actions are aligned with company goals.
- Ability to lead and manage projects, including the ability to influence and gain buy-in while leading through change.
- Ability to solve problems and handle difficult situations with sound judgment.
- Proficient in organizational tools such as web-based applications, MS Office and POS tools.
- Maintain a consistent presence in the gyms within their region, able to travel weekly between the local gyms in their region, with additional travel to satellite locations on a regular basis.