Posted by Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company on 03/04/2020
Industry Sector: Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Retail - Management- Staff
Company Type: Accessories, Apparel/SoftGoods, HardGoods/Equipment, Service, Retail
City: Saratoga Springs
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Job Description & Requirements
Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company is the leading independent outdoor specialty retailer in upstate New York. Established in 1993 in the Adirondack Mountains we are we have been New York’s leading paddlesports retailer and complete Adirondack outfitter for 27 years. We pride ourselves on giving our customers outstanding customer service and a selection of the finest products the outdoor industry has to offer. Always staying ahead of the curve, we are innovators and the been the launching pad for many new brands over the years. Our Saratoga Springs gear, clothing and footwear location is the go-to store for all those who want to get out and play in all the amazing mountains, trails, lakes and wilderness upstate New York has to offer. We have been voted the best footwear, men’s clothing and outdoor specialty shop in Saratoga Springs on a number of occasions, as well as the leading outfitter in the Adirondack State Park. We are also the largest retailer for Patagonia in upstate New York and have worked with a number of local and regional environmental organizations in securing grants that Patagonia offers for protecting our natural environment.
Saratoga Springs is a vibrant upstate New York community with and enormous amount of high end customers and a year round retail business. The Adirondack Mountains are less than a half hour drive away where you and our customers can play in our 6-million acre Adirondack State Park.
Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company is looking for a retail buyer for our downtown Saratoga Springs location. This position will be responsible for ordering for all departments in our 7500 sq. ft store in Saratoga’s main shopping and dining district. If you are the right person to join our team of employees who pride themselves on the work they do, you will become part of an amazing family of outdoor enthusiasts. We pride ourselves on providing high level customer service and high-quality gear for those who share our excitement for the outdoors and travel. We provide a flexible schedule, retirement plan, vacation, substantial discounts on merchandise, and a positive, friendly work environment.
- Create and communicate a comprehensive buying/selling plan for all categories.
- Balance inventory, forecast sales, and plan each category’s retail cycle
- Effectively manage annual seasonal, brand and department purchasing budgets.
- Manage MAP window sales and breaks to ensure maximum sell-through.
- Work closely with the marketing team to promote an overall marketing plan and effectively use MAP window sales and ensure that we’re offering our customers the best possible value in relation to our competitive landscape.
- Identify the best products to strategically promote through all advertising channels.
- Work with the owner and other store managers to create seasonal budgets for all brands and categories.
- Create orders and meet all brand deadlines maximizing pre-season and in-season orders and oversee and direct the management and entering of all products into our POS (Lightspeed).
- Create and maintain strong relationships with our vendors to ensure we are buying at the lowest possible prices.
- Carefully manage inventory to ensure sell-through and appropriate seasonal stock levels.
- Travel to outdoor industry trade shows to learn about new products, buy products, and build positive vendor relationships.
- Assess inventory levels throughout the annual retail planning cycle and adjust buying to minimize on-hand inventory.
- Collaborate with other managers to create and maintain clear and effective merchandising stories on the sales floor to maximize sell through and overall store appearance.
- Constantly train and coach sales associates so they have the skills and product knowledge necessary to create amazing customer experiences.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years outdoor retail experience
- Previous experience in retail buying for the outdoor industry.
- Extensive leadership and team-management experience and the ability to motivate, lead and delegate.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with MS Office (especially Excel) and POS Systems.
- Must exhibit and high degree of flexibility (and flexibility goes both ways), maintain a solution-high driven focus in challenging situations, adapt quickly to changing business requirements.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Proven skills as an effective communicator and negotiator.
Please include a cover letter detailing your outdoor experience and interests.
About Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company
Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company is
Our Gear & Clothing Shops carry a full line of camping gear, hiking footwear, outdoor clothing and supplies as well as quality bicycles from Giant, LIV and Growler. Winter sports enthusiasts will find a great selection of X-Country Skis, Back Country gear and Snowshoes.
The Mountainman Rental Outpost rents Canoes & Kayaks and provides shuttles to