Footwear Product Developer
Posted by Xero Shoes on 11/19/2021
Industry Sector: Action, Fitness, Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Engineer, Design & Development - Product
Company Type: Apparel/SoftGoods
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
Are you passionate about health & wellness and want to make an extraordinary difference in people’s lives? Come work with Xero Shoes! We are looking for a Footwear Product Developer - someone who is a dynamic, ambitious, highly energetic, and self-motivated person able to thrive in a fast-paced environment while leading your team by example.
The Footwear Product Developer will be responsible for the research and development of new footwear from the approved design through the confirmation stage and will be expected to
- coordinate all phases of development utilizing the available resources of design, PLM, model shop, wear testing and far east development.
- work within a team-oriented structure consisting of all disciplines necessary, and available to develop a product line achieving product objectives within the established timelines.
- support and mentor Product Development team members.
- be proactive in working with suppliers to generate new ideas, materials and components for enhanced product creation and innovation.·
- deliver projects which meet or improve upon industry standards for perceived quality and value, profit margin, biomechanics, performance, and aesthetics. Tooling efficiency and manufacturability are key in this role with a design-led brand.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
· Assisting and contributing ideas for product design, construction, materials, compounds and components to enhance functionality, aesthetics, fit, and profit margin.
· Serves as the technical & manufacturing resource for product line management and design members of project teams.
· Generates a technical development package to communicate intended construction and aesthetic details of each project to overseas development partners.
· Signs off on all blueprints prior to opening sample molds.
· Examines all prototypes to assure all specifications are correct and within product cost target.
· Prepares and updates project status reports.
· Achieves timeline milestones to assure development process and prototypes are progressing properly.
· Collaborates with the Wear Test Coordinator on all fit and wear testing from early prototypes to final confirmed wear testing, implement revisions as necessary.
· Collaborates with fit and wear test of commercialized extreme sizes for production confirmation, while being aware of competitors’ products and positioning.
· Coordinates the fit and wear testing at appropriate prototype stage with the wear test coordinator.
· Evaluates the feedback and implements revisions.
· Confirms final production confirmation samples.
· Assists on production quality issues when necessary.
· Potentially participating in international and domestic travel (once travel restrictions are lifted) as required to achieve a high level of product and component development, including visits to manufacturing countries / factories to assist and review commercialization and production on key product.
- A minimum of two years of experience in footwear development. Athletic shoe experience a plus
- Applicable technical degree preferred - manufacturing, mechanical, or chemical engineering, product design, biomechanics, etc.
- Previous working experience in textiles, color and graphics in footwear or apparel
- Knowledge of minimalist shoes and constructions a plus
- Possess footwear competitive market awareness, combined with technical problem-solving ability at the micro level
- Demonstrates current industry standard technical knowledge of footwear development and manufacturing processes
- Accepts accountability to graphic design, production, and sales teams
- Analytical and efficient problem solver
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with experience communicating product details, networking, and presentation skils
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail·
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex tasks and prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines
Personal characteristics that fit this position include:
- Committed to, and enthusiastic about the mission and vision of Xero Shoes
- A strategic, yet innovative thinker who is adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment, able to plan, prioritize, and organize individual and group activities and processes
- Outgoing, straightforward, and creative
- Able to work independently and take initiative
- An adaptable, flexible problem-solver
- Passionate, comfortable, and outgoing with client interaction
- Team-focused, enjoys collaborating as part of an active group of highly engaged, creative individuals
- Exhibit a high degree of maturity, honesty, trust, sophistication, and integrity and cultivates these qualities in others
This position is located in our corporate office in the Interlocken area in Broomfield, CO and will report to the Director of Product Development, with deliverables to graphic design, production and sales teams.
Job Type: 40 hours Full-time
Pay: $70,000 - $95,000 annually DOE
· Medical, dental and vision during the first 30 days of employment
· Complementary pair of shoes each month of employment (up to one pair per style)
· 401K eligible after three months of employment
· Employee bonus and incentive plans
Xero Shoes is handling our own recruitment. We will not respond to solicitations from recruiters.
About Xero Shoes
As seen on Shark Tank, Xero Shoes manufactures and sells lightweight performance recreation footwear. People in 97 countries enjoy Xero Shoes'? sandals and shoes for everything from a stroll on the beach, a hike in the woods, a workout in the gym, to running an ultra marathon.
Xero is all about NATURAL: Natural FIT -- your toes can spread and relax in the wide toe box. Plus the XERO-drop (non-elevated heel and low-to the ground design) allows for proper posture, balance and agility; Natural FUNCTION -- Xeros let your feet bend, flex and move the way they're supposed to.
And they're so lightweight you barely feel them on your feet; Natural FEEL -- the exclusive, patented FeelTrue® soles protects you while also giving your feet and brain the ground feedback they want to feel. Live Life Feet First!