Product Design Engineer
Posted by Wheels Manufacturing on 04/08/2021
Industry Sector: Bike
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
The Product Engineer is responsible for the full life cycle of future products including development, evaluation, documentation, handoff to production, as well as supporting current product lines at Wheel Manufacturing, LLC. One of the main aspects of the Product Engineer role will be to support the machine shop production team in their mission to make high quality product efficiently and consistently. The Product Engineer is also a core member of the Product Design and Development team reporting to the President. As a lead in a key department for Wheels Mfg, the Product Engineer will also oversee, manage, and improve where needed, the operational aspects of the engineering function at Wheels Mfg. This will include playing an integral role in the prototype process working with product management and production team to support the development, creation and testing of prototypes.
- Contribute to the development and execution of operational processes related to the engineering function at Wheels Mfg.
- Maintain up to date, accurate and well-organized product documentation. This includes the audit, review and updating of existing product documentation to ensure its accuracy and completeness.
- Develop tolerance schemes and inspection processes to control the quality of product during production.
- Define and develop testing protocols and QA metrics for manufactured product
- Take a lead role in the implementation, development, ongoing management of product documentation and file management tools and systems such as SolidWorks PDM
Production & Manufacturing Support:
- Standardize and improve existing product designs.
- Work with assembly as needed to develop jigs, work fixtures, systems, and tools to enable efficient assembly of products.
- Performing supplier audits on new and existing vendors.
- Communicate effectively with domestic and international manufacturers, vendors, and suppliers; internal and external testing groups; and customer service and sales departments.
- Supporting role in the vetting and review of potential new suppliers.
- Work directly with vendors and supply chains to ensure effective, sustainable production methods while minimizing costs.
Product design and development:
- Contribute technical and creative insight for new product ideas and iterative changes to existing product.
- Learn and understand Wheels Mfg. product lines from a technical and functional perspective. Must be able to work on bikes and install bottom brackets, derailleur hangers, and use tools that Wheels Mfg. produces.
- Work with Product Manager to coordinate lab testing with manufacturers or 3rd party suppliers to test, qualify, and document products within the applicable industry and regulatory standards.
- Ensure product meets development standards through end-user simulation and lab testing.
- Provide feedback on product briefs and use cases during the pre-kickoff phases of a project.
- Support the development and refinement of Wheels Manufacturing’s test standards for both internal and external testing.
- Support the continuous improvement of Wheels Manufacturing’s product development process.
Research and Development:
- Perform design studies and calculations to support R&D pre-kickoff product definitions.
- Complete prototype projects to prove R&D technologies prior to implementation.
- Create, innovate, and invent new products to solve problems for mechanics and bicyclists, and fulfill unmet needs in the bicycle industry.
- Determine necessary qualification and testing measures during iterative product changes.
- Create and execute development testing as necessary to support new product development.
- Have a strong desire for feedback and collaboration on designs and concepts.
- Stay up to date on industry trends and market directions related to bike technology.
Product & Brand support:
- Be a brand representative and champion Wheels Manufacturing at events, and to the public.
- Collaborate with marketing to produce technical content for specific products including instructions, product technical information, concept renderings, or blogs.
- Monitor and review warranty claims to identify systemic problems, as well as provide technical support to the customer service agents.
- Provide input on potential new product opportunities.
- Contribute to developing and maintaining a positive culture and a winning team by living the Wheels Mfg. core values*:
- Delivering greatness
- Being a true partner
*See below for a more in-depth definitions of Wheels Manufacturing’s core values.
In fulfilling your primary responsibilities, you will:
- Take on new challenges, be a team player, and wear multiple hats to support organizational needs.
- Work closely with multiple teams at Wheels Manufacturing, including production and assembly teams to support them in their mission.
- Create and manage testing user groups for new products to ensure quality feedback on designs.
In addition to your primary responsibilities, you have the opportunity to fulfill secondary responsibilities based on your skills and interests. *These might include:
- Represent Wheels Manufacturing core values at events, tradeshows, etc.
- Play a leadership role in organizing company events, or community outreach.
- Promoting a cycling culture at Wheels Manufacturing or in the broader community.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of Mechanical Engineering work experience.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and design creativity.
- Utilize industry standards to properly tolerance parts.
- Highly developed attention to detail.
- Must be a proficient user of SolidWorks software experience: 3D Modeling (including assemblies and surfacing) and 2D Drawings, Solidworks PDM.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with proven ability to manage multiple deadlines without substantial oversight.
- Ability to reverse engineer products and parts using scanning, CMM, or other measuring equipment.
- Must be able to read product prints and create accurate, clear, and well-organized prints that facilitate the efficient and cost-effective production of parts.
- Must be well versed in creating prints, 3D SolidWorks models and other product documentation to support the efficient and effective manufacturing of parts with outsourced manufacturing firms.
- Must be able be able to perform structural analyses, create technical drawings, and manage product documentation.
- Must be able to complete rapid prototyping via 3rd party service providers, 3D printers, or manual mill and lathe machines.
- Evaluate new products through assembly, lab, and ride testing.
- 2 years’ experience working in a manufacturing environment or working closely with outside manufacturing firms.
- Manufacturing experience in machining, metal finishing and assembly.
- Experience playing an active role in developing and maintaining engineering processes and quality controls.
- About 15% travel time, ability and willingness to travel domestic and international
- Ability to drive a car/van/truck and be a Wheels Manufacturing approved driver.
Secondary Qualifications (these are a plus, but not required):
- Experience with CAE, or FEA Analysis.
- SolidWorks PDM administrative experience is a plus.
- Experience maintaining and operating a CMM is a plus.
- Experience with ISO 4210.
- 2+ years of experience in the outdoor goods industry, or equivalent personal cycling experience.
- Experience implementing SolidWorks PDM or similar.
- Ability to use the computer extensively.
- Ability and willingness to test and evaluate a variety of cycling products in sometimes extreme conditions, including cold and wet.
- Frequently required to stand or walk for long periods of time.
- Dexterity to use hands to finger, handle or feed; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Specific vision requirements are good general vision, ability to distinguish between colors, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly required to life and move up to 25 lbs. Occasionally lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- May experience manufacturing shop noise and hearing protection is provided.
Wheels Manufacturing Core Values
Responsibility - We are proactive and work to shape our future. Being problem solvers at heart, we seek out solutions and take ownership of outcomes as individuals and as a company.
Integrity –We behave with the highest sense of ethical conduct; we live and act with integrity and honesty. We are deeply trustworthy and honorable in all that we do.
Craftsmanship – We care about what we make and pursue the highest of quality in everything we create. We strive for expertise in our field, and we endeavor to continually improve the skills of our craft.
Deliver Greatness –Together we harness our passion for quality, craftsmanship, innovation, and cycling to accomplish great things. We set our goals high and we continually strive to create something special.
Innovation –We are creators and makers that encourage and nurture novel thinking. We are not afraid to experiment and learn in the pursuit of creating something special.
Be a True Partner – We work to develop deep partnerships based on trust and respect with our customers, coworkers, vendors. We seek to create solutions where all parties thrive.
This is a full time, benefit eligible job. We offer medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401(k) plans to begin on the first of the month following 30 days. In addition, accrued Paid Time Off is offered which is generally 14 days earned within 12 months. The hiring range for this role is $75,000 - $90,000, depending on experience.