Posted by Fishpond Inc. on 06/10/2021
Industry Sector: Fishing, Outdoor
Job Categories: Design & Development - Product
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Fishpond is a category leader in the outdoor industry and strives to be a company that is not only defined by the innovative products it designs, but by the values for which we stand. As a certified B Corp, the first in the fly fishing industry, we are inspired by the outside. We are a company that values the journey getting to our destination almost as much as our time on the water and in the outdoors.
We are a Colorado company with the heartbeat born in the shadows of the majestic Rocky Mountains. Our vision is clear, and the headwaters here that lead to the oceans inspire the creativity and joyful pursuit to craft the most functional fly fishing and outdoor products in the world. We are 21 years young and the ideals of creativity that Fishpond was founded upon have not wavered since our first products entered the market.
We give a damn. Fishpond encourages every person to engage in a cause that makes a difference. As we have grown as a brand, it has become very clear that our mission and goals as a business would be empty of spirit and soul without a clear direction of also creating a company that defines not just our responsibility, but our obligation, to help create a sustainable planet through clean water, healthy habitat, and open and wild places for species to thrive.
Fishpond products are as much about art as they are about function. A devotion to art and creativity is what drives the spirit of Fishpond through the products we craft.
Job Description and Requirements:
Fishpond is searching for the ideal candidate for a position of “Designer and Developer” who will work directly with and report to the executive management of Fishpond. The position will collaborate on design briefs, product development and innovation and production, and importantly, will be the lead person for the communication of design development with our various vendors around the world.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interface with Director of Product design to assist with Fishpond design initiatives and our long-term product line vision.
- Create a strong relationship with our factory partners both offshore and here in the USA. Communication and organizational skills are critical. This position will assume the lead on the development process with each of our factories, so experience with taking product specs through the process of approval sample is necessary.
- Materials and sample organization to help maintain ease of reference
- Translate design directives from Director of Product Design into cohesive spec packages using software programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop. Experience with Rhino or Fusion 36O a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with soft goods such as bags, luggage, packs is required.
- Produce sketches, 2D designs and tech/spec packs for each product.
- Incorporate our sustainability guidelines into each design in the spirit of our B Corp status.
- Research and indentify current trend directions, perform competitive analysis, create design concepts and presentation boards
- Identify and lead new processes and procedures that will help increase efficiency of the product design through the development cycle.
- Ensure that sketches, renderings, and illustrations (spec packages) are efficiently organized for the factory to easily understand, leading to an approval samples within target dates.
- This design and development job will push all boundaries and be a disruptive force within the outdoor industry. The “Designer and “Developer” position will create new products under Fishpond’s design principals which are in alignment with Fishpond’s overall brand strategy, culture and DNA. This person will report to the Director of Design/Exec. Management to translate design concepts, sketches, drawings, and then finished spec packages that lead to final approval samples.
- Tests all factory samples to be sure any new design concept functions with the features and design attributes intended.
- Source, develop, and initiate new materials and construction methods. As a leader in the industry using recycled materials at Fishpond, this position must take an active lead in sourcing new technology using post consumer recycled waste into designs, both soft and hard.
- Collaborate with Director of Design/Exec. team to manage day-to-day operational aspects of the product design and development process for both soft and hard goods
- Possess leadership qualities to drive Fishpond’s team and contract vendors to ensure successful completion of projects in line with the company’s brand strategy.
- Assist in Negotiating prices and MOQ’s on finished goods, trims, fabrics, etc. Being able to target final product FOB to established guidelines and goals
- Create a development tracking log with all changes by date, approvals, etc.
- Monitor and contribute to quality control standards
- Provide additional production support to the Director of Design/Exec. Team.
- Bachelors or technical degree in industrial design or closely related field
- Minimum of 5 years design experience related to soft goods and hard goods. Have a formal academic background in industrial design or commensurate work experience
- Respectfully relentless in the fierce pursuit of creative excellence
- A portfolio that demonstrates design thinking and creative skills across a wide variety of categories and design formats particularly with soft goods design
- Strong sketching skills and ability to translate concepts into Adobe Illustrator
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator as well as a knowledge of the rest of Adobe Creative Suite
- Passion for the outdoors and gear and for making a difference in the world.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Be able to independently move forward with design direction for presentation to Director of Design, and then execute to completed briefs and final spec. A strong work ethic and ability to work independently under general direction and to be able to receive honest critique.
- Ability to work in a very small team environment and willingness to participate in other aspects of the business as required. The Fishpond team often wears multiple hats to get our work completed. Answering phones, assisting customer service and warranty department with technical assistance is often necessary.
- Proven track record of successful project management and knowledge of the product cycle.
- Meticulously organized with laser sharp instincts for detecting the smallest of details.
- Domestic and international travel may be required. International trips to visit contract manufacturers and material suppliers in support of development efforts can last for one to two weeks. International trips are usually only one or two times per year.
This position is based on our Denver, Colorado office. The environment is relaxed and dog-friendly, so you may have your best four-legged friend join you on a daily basis.
To learn more about Fishpond, please visit our website at fishpondusa.com