Senior Product Designer
Posted by Big Agnes on 11/10/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design & Development - Product
Company Type: Apparel/SoftGoods, Recreation
City: Steamboat Springs
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
The Senior Product Designer will work within various categories to create new products and to annually update existing products with new features, components, patterns and decorative finishes or trim elements. This designer will integrate into the Design & Development team to oversee multiple projects and timelines. They will also collaborate closely with management, sourcing and manufacturing partners to implement innovations and production techniques.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create new seasonal product designs as needed by model or category and present them to various partners.
- Cultivate a strong design ethos for the brand that can be communicated and presented to company leadership, key stakeholders, teammates and creative collaborators.
- Aid in the development and maintenance of a seasonal design style guide, including trend forecasting and reference imagery.
- Research and provide, coordinate and implement feedback on current designs and design directions. Share these findings to all team members.
- Ensure all products have an easily understood hierarchy of good/better/best features and benefits with a cohesive look and feel.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze and critique designs during project reviews in a positive manner with the best interest of the company in mind.
- Innovate conceptually for “R&D” projects at a high level of proficiency and carry these items into inline models. This employee may be sought out to work on special projects due to strong past results and exhibited follow through.
- Construct or refine 3-dimensional design concepts in a prototype capacity.
- Create product design detail drawings and technical specification packages in Adobe Illustrator for handoff to development, sourcing and manufacturing partners.
- Develop products using guidelines, materials and techniques that meet design expectations as well as the brand’s financial profit margin targets. Ensure that all products and design intents are readily manufacturable.
- Track all phases of design including ideation, CAD file creation, material research and selection, trim, graphic artwork, pre-production and/or final manufacturing samples to ensure on-time delivery that meets all quality standards.
- Interface with developers regarding design concepts and communicate all necessary information to apply these details to products efficiently.
- Maintain accurate specification and material selection details to ensure BOM creation is efficient and effective for all necessary partners.
- Proactively collaborate with, inform and communicate with the development team to review design accuracy during the prototype sampling process.
- Maintain an awareness of the competitive environment and how to improve product assets by including new technologies, market trends, materials, construction, make details, fit and overall quality.
- Be knowledgeable about global material sourcing including fabrics, trims and other manufactured components.
- Work as a dedicated team player while setting a strong example of timeliness and professionalism in all aspects of work.
- Understand that the development cycle is a fast-paced, constantly changing, deadline and process-driven environment with extremely time-sensitive procedures.
- Be flexible to work long hours when necessary.
- Travel domestically and internationally as needed.
This person should realize the potential to:
- Sit for period of times at the computer/phone.
- Bend and lift heavy items while assisting other departments.
- Stand for durations of time.
- Use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, printers, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Vision, hearing, speech, and manual and physical dexterity sufficient to conduct product inspections.
- The ability to travel internationally and have the required vaccinations to do so.
- Ability to review product through the mindset of in-field testing.
Required Education and Experience:
- This person should have the desire to be a passionate active outdoor enthusiast with an extensive knowledge of products and sports in the outdoor category while also using these products frequently for personal testing.
- Outdoor industry experience is not required, but outdoor appreciation and connection is expected.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design (BID, BFA), Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Mechanical Engineering or other appropriate technical field; ideally with at least 5-7 years related experience preferably in consumer product design.
- An equivalent combination of education and prior experience in the fields of product design, product development, technical design, manufacturing and production of outdoor equipment and/or apparel is acceptable.
- Knowledge of cut-and-sew product is required.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite; experience with Solid Works, Rhino, or similar 3D Rendering software is a plus.
- Have an excellent understanding of and ability to create outstanding products. This attribute can be combined with design thinking, concepting, and modeling/prototyping skills while intrinsically working with a very high level of attention to detail.
- Must have the ability to grasp and apply both general and abstract concepts of product design and development with regard to user/product interaction and construction while exhibiting vision and initiative. This includes being able to interpret product direction in order to develop compelling designs that can be made into factory ready specifications.
- Can give and receive clear, timely and effective written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate integrity through respect for individuals and exhibit ethical behavior.
- Have a curious mindset to continually create and grow within the global sourcing and production environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About Big Agnes
Big Agnes is a leading outdoor equipment brand offering tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, insulated outerwear, and camp furniture. Located in the Rocky Mountains, its name sake peak and the playground surrounding it serve as the inspiration to create innovative, high value camping gear that allow you to experience the magic of the outdoors in comfort. Big Agnes is the "Mother of Comfort".