Senior Mechanical Engineer
Posted by BioLite on 09/14/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Country: United States
Required Experience: 7 - 10 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $105,000 - $125,000
Required to Relocate: No
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
When using Easy Apply you are asked to upload a resume. Please upload a combined PDF of your resume, cover letter AND PORTFOLIO. LinkedIn only allows one file upload.
If you are unable to combine the resume and portfolio please submit your portfolio to email@example.com with the subject "Snr Mechanical Engineer: Applicant Name".
Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Brooklyn, New York (BioLite has a hybrid work model where employees are in the office 3-4 days per week.)
Reports to: Head of Product Development
Compensation: Salary range is $105,000 to $125,000 depending on candidate experience.
- Comprehensive healthcare plans (medical, dental, vision). BioLite pays 100% of monthly premiums.
- PTO and family leave
- Free One Medical membership.
- Community bonus plan and equity stock options.
- Adventure Stipend (after two years)
- Community engagement activities - we celebrate each other's wins and work as a team!
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our business serves two distinct markets, 1) developing-world families living in energy poverty, and 2) outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and electricity.
BioLite believes in a bright and safe future for all, and that includes life at work. BioLite is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we strive to enable everyone to show up as their full selves. An inclusive environment and culture makes our solutions better and our entire team smarter. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
BioLite is looking for a well-rounded Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the team in designing products rooted in people's actual needs, from conception to launch.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-moving company with both a technical and creative environment. As a Mechanical Engineer at BioLite you'll solve challenging and interesting problems, work with an exceptional team, take ideas from concept through to large-scale production, and make a positive impact on products that matter.
- Plan and implement the design of a consumer product assembly, which includes part break up, fastening strategies, selection of important subcomponents, electrical interconnects, thermal management, material selection and selection of manufacturing processes.
- Balance design considerations such as aesthetics, usefulness and usability, performance, cost, schedule, sustainability, reliability, human factors, and manufacturability.
- Take a very hands-on approach to building proofs of concept; you believe a prototype reveals things that theory cannot. You are fast and experienced in a workshop.
- Integrate ID master CAD files into ME master models, support high-quality surface modeling, and facilitate productive conversations about design changes needed for the purposes of manufacturability.
- Conduct Engineering Design Reviews and testing to ensure high product quality and reliability.
- Create documentation which specifies a product's definition such as a BOM, 3D CAD, 2D drawings, colors, materials, and finish specifications.
- Track cost considerations as they relate to the mechanical design, work with the sourcing team to estimate and track cost-of-goods and ensure it's in alignment with project targets.
- Create and execute test plans which verify designs, summarize and interpret data to be shared within a project team.
- Track daily tasks and overall project schedules by using standard tools such as smartsheet and excel.
- Support the successful transfer of a production ready design to China-based manufacturers, communicate with manufacturers to ensure design intent is met.
- Provide direction to the manufacturing, quality, testing and supply chain teams and facilitate problem resolution.
- Take risks; you can accept, process, and learn from your failures for the betterment of your work.
- Feel comfortable in spaces that are not well defined and desire to establish new patterns in design and technology.
- In the future (after COVID-19 travel restrictions are lifted), willingness to travel to China up to 2-3 times a year.
- 7 + years' experience in consumer electronics product development and manufacturing
- Experience developing 2-3 products simultaneously in a lead engineer role
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering
- A desire to understand people and produce thoughtful products that make their lives better
- A passion for tinkering and broad prototyping abilities.
- Expertise in top down CAD assemblies using SolidWorks: building/modifying CAD, using mates with moving parts to evaluate fit and functionality
- Experience in system integration, including electro-mechanical components, waterproofing, thermals, and product architecture
- Working knowledge of tolerance analysis and associated alignment intent within designs
- A strong working knowledge of manufacturing and assembly technologies as they relate to plastics injection molding and tooling, sonic welding, sheet metal parts and progressive die stamping, and aluminum die-casting
- Experience creating mechanical control outlines for integration with electrical components, i.e. PCB board outlines and component placements and battery design/packaging
- Experience transferring designs to manufacturing partners, facilitating DFM with contract manufacturers based in China, and providing on site manufacturing support