Environmental Education Instructor
Posted by Pocono Environmental Education Center on 01/23/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Outdoor Education
Company Type: Conservation, Events, Intern, Recreation, Service
City: Dingmans Ferry
Country: United States
Required Experience: 0 - 1 year
Contact Name: Steph Sherman
Business Phone: 5708282319
Job Type: Seasonal Full Time
Salary: $400/week plus room and board
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is located within the National Park Service's Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. The center's outdoor classroom consists of a 38-acre campus with easy access to over 250,000 acres of public lands.
Environmental Education Instructors at PEEC perform three major duties: program delivery, program development, and customer service. Sample responsibilities include:
- Provide quality environmental education programs for PEEC’s formal and informal education guests, including but not limited to schools, summer camps, scout, and public programs.
- Participate in facility and instructional materials up-keep and receptionist duties
- Responds to questions or requests for information from program participants and visitors about PEEC policies/procedures, programs, points of interest in the park, or other information
- Any additional responsibilities that further the mission of PEEC and its operations.
Full-time, seasonal employment begins March 6, 2023 and stretches to September/October.
Limited full-time summer positions may be available starting May 15, 2023 and end in August.
Part-time opportunities available, contact for more details.
*Open partner for internship credit with higher education organizations.*
- Receive consistent ‘excellent’ evaluations from program participants
- Willing acceptance of tasks deemed necessary for the program and PEEC as a whole organization and completion in a timely manner
Reports to Director of Education and Director of Operation
- Prepare and present engaging, hands-on lessons tailored to a wide range of youth and the general public while being mindful of the backgrounds and needs of each school group, incorporating teacher requests within our educational framework, program logistics, and student interests
- Plan and lead up to 7 weeks of summer day camp, including the facilitation and guidance of daily child care, educational and recreational activities, such as games and crafts related to nature.
- Plan and guide public programming, including occasional evening programs, special events, overnights, and other specialized programs.
- Enthusiasm and commitment for environmental education and the mission, goals and values of PEEC
- Ability to implement and model excellent risk management practices and maintain a safe environment for our students and staff
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative team-based environment
- CPR and First Aid required within two months of employment (certification opportunity provided by PEEC)
- Ability to move up to 50lbs and set-up equipment (i.e. tables, chairs, A/V equipment)
- Ability to hike a minimum of 5 miles on trails, traverse stairs and uneven terrain as well as the ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures
- Ability to make independent decisions and respond to immediate needs of guests, emergency situations, and program needs
- Ability to work well with limited supervision, demonstrate flexibility and shows initiative to undertake additional work responsibilities without additional instruction.
- Full understanding that the nature of working at a residential, not-for-profit requires a dynamic, buoyant personality with high aptitude for customer service and showmanship.
- Actively participate in staff community by attending meetings and trainings as scheduled
- Recommended college graduate or enrolled student of Environmental Science, Biology, Ecology, Education, or related discipline. Alternative work experience also considered.
- Experience teaching and/or working with groups, camps
- Willingness to work with people of all ages in a residential setting
- Competency in one or more outdoor/science specialty
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid, CPR, AED, Life Guarding desirable
- COVID-19 vaccination encouraged but not required. PEEC has a COVID-19 Action Plan in place that is subject to change, including mask mandates.
- All hires must submit to Criminal Background checks, including fingerprinting and child abuse clearances.
Starting Salary of $400 a week, plus room and board.
(Alternative gas stipend available for full-time commuters.)
Part-time: $15 per hour (housing/gas stipend not provided).
Email cover letter, resume & three references to:
Stephanie Sherman-Barr, Director of Education
Or mail to: PEEC, Attention Stephanie Sherman-Barr
538 Emery Road, Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328
About Pocono Environmental Education Center
PEEC is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with approximately 24,000 annual visitors and, since 1972, PEEC has been the education partner of the National Park Service in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. PEEC advances environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through hands-on experience in a national park.