The Department of Conservation and Recreation is steward of one of the largest state parks systems in the country. Its 450,000 acres is made up of forests, parks, greenways, historic sites and landscapes, seashores, lakes, ponds, reservoirs and watersheds.
In meeting today's responsibilities and planning for tomorrow, DCR's focus is on:
- Improving outdoor recreational opportunities and natural resource conservation
- Restoring and improving our facilities
- Expanding public involvement in carrying out DCR's mission, and
- Establishing first-rate management systems and practices.
- The health and happiness of people across Massachusetts depend on the accessibility and quality of our green infrastructure - our natural resources, recreational facilities, and great historic landscapes. The DCR continues to improve the vital connection between people and the environment.