Posted by Vista Outdoor on 01/18/2023
Industry Sector: Hunting/Shooting
Job Categories: Manufacturing
Company Type: Recreation
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
At Federal® our employees not only receive Great Pay in a Patriotic, Honest, Hardworking environment, we offer Benefits Day 1, Alternating Work Week Schedules (3 days off / 4 days off) and an awesome Employee Purchase Program across ALL our brands (CamelBak, Bushnell, Federal, Remington, Blackhawk, Camp Chef and many more)! We build the industry's widest variety of ammunition and offer leading products for every facet of the shooting sports. As such, this role is critical in contributing to our success. Join our team today!
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: To produce and repair tools, gauges and machine parts to the highest quality standards to assist manufacturing departments in meeting their production schedules and to repair machines within the department.
SHIFT 5: Mon through Thu 3pm-1am plus overtime as needed.
SHIFT R: Fri, Sat, Sun 7am-7pm plus overtime as needed.
Training shift will be Monday through Friday 7am-3pm.
(Experience, education, licenses, certifications, and specific knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position.)
- Two-year vocational schooling degree or diploma in Machining Technology OR 5+ years relevant experience without a degree/diploma
- Experience in short run, prototype or tool room environment
- Experience as a manual machinist
- Multiple process welding capabilities preferred
- Precision fabrication experience
- Experience making fixtures
- Knowledge of metals such as steel, iron, brass and other metals, alloys and tool steels
- Ability to measure with devices such as micrometers, master height stand
- Ability to work with geometric dimensioning and tight tolerances
- Strong mechanical aptitude and problem-solving capabilities
- Flexibility to shift between varying tasks while maintaining the highest levels of productivity and quality
- Basic Computer Skills
- Shift flexibility to work overtime as needed
- Demonstrated effective team oriented employee
- Demonstrated excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work effectively under minimum supervision
Resume must be attached to online application
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in setting up and operating CNC mills, lathes, grinders or EDM
(Fundamental duties necessary to achieve the objective of the position.)
- Keep abreast of latest machining technologies, sometimes requiring additional schooling.
- Learn and operate all machine shop equipment as needed.
- Inspect tooling and machine parts using precision measuring equipment.
- Select proper stock for job, lay out work using necessary shop mathematics and set up and operate equipment according to blueprint specifications.
- Make individual machine adjustments and changeovers to put machine in proper condition for specific assignments.
- Produce and repair tools, gauges and machine parts within blueprint specifications.
- Compute cost estimates for machine parts and communicate to engineers.
- Work with engineers to make tooling which will work best at production.
- Perform welding and fabrication of machine parts or tooling.
- Troubleshoot machine malfunctions in production.
- Order and maintain machine tool supplies.
- Program CNC mills, lathes and grinders, if applicable.
- Operate Electronics Discharge Machine (EDM), if applicable.
- Keep machines properly lubricated and maintain machines and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Observe all established safety rules and procedures and report all unsafe conditions or potential safety hazards to supervisor immediately.
- Train back-up operators for various machine equipment.
- Actively participate in the departmental Natural Work Team.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
(Knowledge, skills and abilities currently used to perform essential functions)
Physical Requirements: Time is split between sitting, standing and moving about depending on specific operation. Reaching, handling, fingering and manual dexterity to assemble, operate, adjust and inspect. Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling and crouching. Extension of arms at shoulder level. Frequent lifting, pushing and manipulating of objects weighing 10 pounds or more, with occasional lifting up to and over 50 pounds (assistance available for heavy lifting).
Mental Requirements: High attentiveness and regard to detail to inspect parts and to ensure safety. Reading and basic math comprehension to understand and interpret quality information (SPC, charts, graphs, etc.) and to keep up to date on new technology. Writing to prepare plans, notes, etc. and reading comprehension of blue prints. Interpersonal communication skills to interact daily with work teams, to facilitate problem solving and to train workers.
Equipment Used: Conventional lathes, mills and grinders, drill presses, sanders, band saws, and other machine tools in the Machine Shop. Inspection equipment such as optical comparator, flutter-gauge, laser micrometer, digital height gauge, gauge blocks, plug gauge, electronic internal and thread gauge, sine plate, shop computers etc.
Working Environment: Majority of work is spent on the manufacturing floor subject to continual exposure to noise/vibration, dust and dirt, mechanical equipment hazards and moving equipment such as fork trucks and motorized carts. Shifts vary depending on operations, seniority and interest level. Occasional overtime to meet business needs. Working with and around others as a part of formal and informal work teams. Support available through supervisor or other associates for problem-solving and heavy lifting.
About Vista Outdoor
Vista Outdoor Inc. is a leading global designer, manufacturer and marketer of outdoor recreation and shooting sports products. We are headquartered in Anoka, Minnesota and employ approximately 5,900 skilled workers worldwide. We have multiple manufacturing and distribution facilities across the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico along with international customer service, sales and sourcing operations in Asia, Canada and Europe.
We operate through two reportable segments: Shooting Sports and Outdoor Products. Together, our segments serve the outdoor sports and recreation markets through a diverse portfolio of well-recognized brands that provide consumers with a wide range of performance-driven, high-quality and innovative products.